- The natural park El Garraf. The El Garraf district receives its name from the mountains located to the east of the district. Classified as a nature park, this mountainous area contains flora and fauna difficult to find anywhere other than on the Catalan coast.
- El Garraf, together wit the l’Alt and Baix Penedès districts, forms the natural region of Penedès, which occupies part of the coastal area. It is separated from the Penedès depression by the Garraf massif, formed by limestone, which reaches the sea forming a typical coastal landscape, engraved by the action of the sea which has formed a large number of caves.
- The district capital is Vilanova i la Geltrú, one of the most important fishing ports in Catalonia.
The picture on the front is Casa Gaudi in the village Garraf
Although it’s pretty easy to drive to Barcelona and the beginning of the Ramblas (Passeig de Colom just after the Columbus statue), it’s also possible to visit Barcelona by train from Sitges. Here you find the instructions
Visit Barcelona by train:
- If you want to visit Barcelona during your stay, you can go by car, or park your car (for free) in Sitges and take the train (€ 6,- for a return ticket) to the centre of Barcelona.
- A lot of trains depart from Sitges to Barcelona every 7 min. in rush hours and every 10-15 min. the rest of the day. All the trains stop in Sants station and later in Passeig de Gracia station, which is in the city centre.
- The first departure is at 4:48 h. The last departure is at 22:26 h, after this time you have to take the night bus.
- You have 2 trains, one goes direction Sant Vicenç de Calders through Sitges, that’s very important, as there’s another one with the same direction that goes inland and doesn’t stops in Sitges, the other goes direction Vilanova i la Geltrú. The trip is about 40-45 min, depending of the train.
The area of Olivella and Vilafranca del Penedès is know by its wine estates. You can drive trough the winefields and see lot’s of wine estates. A very famous one is Torres, they have a visitors center in Vilafrance del Penedès, see link. This is quite touristic, you can also choose to take a change and visit a smaller and more personal wine estate in the surroundings.